NYC Health + Hospitals/McKinney provides high quality short-term rehabilitation and long-term skilled nursing care in a comfortable person-centered setting. The McKinney Team commit themselves to the delivery of compassionate, comprehensive services in manner that promotes the dignity and respect of our residents. Each resident has a qualified and caring team of physicians, nurses, dieticians, and therapists dedicated to his/her physical, mental, and emotional well-being. It is our goal to provide all residents with the best possible experience during their stay with us.
Seeking Licensed Activity Therapist to work in a Nursing Home located in Brooklyn, NY.
Under supervision, with latitude for initiative and judgment, performs responsible therapeutic work of ordinary difficulty.
The following are typical tasks for Assignment Level I:
1. Participates in planning and implementing a medical/psychiatric approved recreational program of individual and ward activities adapted to the needs, interest and capacities of patients.
2. Participates in meeting with treatment staff to coordinate effective patient care and participates as a member of a team, in patient groups.
3. Plans individualized schedules including activities of daily living, arts and therapy and socialization to meet specific needs of patients.
4. Teaches and leads recreational activities such as group and team games, arts and crafts, dances, gymnastics, art in therapy, poetry, simple forms of music and dramatics.
5. Directs learning experiences as part of care/treatment of patients to influence behavioral changes leading to increased experience and comprehension of self and environment.
6. Works with and may guide students from multi disciplines, volunteers and others assigned to the area of service.
7. Attends and contributes to department meetings, attends and conducts in-service training programs.
8. Works with private and public organizations to further recreational programs.
9. May co-lead or lead small group therapy and other discussion groups.
10. May co-lead community meetings with other members of various disciplines.
11. Communicates observations of patients in activity therapy to team.
12. Charts Activity Therapy Progress Notes.
13. Prepares periodic reports and keeps appropriate records.
14. Is responsible for maintaining and ordering of supplies and equipment for assigned unit
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 18 credits in recreation, physical education, dance, fine arts, applied arts (including therapy) and 12 credits in psychology, social psychology, group work, group dynamics and/or related field; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and one year of full-time experience in planning, coordinating and supervising a recreation activities program in a hospital, health care or related facility; or
3. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must possess a baccalaureate degree.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply online by clicking the 'Apply Now' button.